HandmadebyClaireBear

confessions of a fabric obsessive

Tourist in my own Town

Yesterday, I had an all-day ticket for the buses in Birmingham, so after I’d been and done the things that I needed to do, I went into the city centre to fetch the library books that I’d requested (I live life on the edge, I do, oh yes).

Despite having planned this library trip for several days, do you think I managed to bring my library card with me? Do you think I discovered the absence of said library card before I’d walked all the way from the bus stop to the library?

Being in the city centre with nothing to do, a couple of things caught my eye, and I decided to do “tourist in my own town”. Have you ever done this? It means taking photos of everything just like a tourist, but close to where you live, hence “tourist in my own town”.

The first thing that caught my eye was the African Textiles exhibition in Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (you can see it’s the Museum and Art Gallery, ‘cos it says it in letters above the main entrance).

The museum is a lovely old Victorian building that I love for itself, inside and out. I missed “Lost in Lace” and the Da Vinci exhibition that ended last month, I just didn’t get a chance to get into town with a couple of hours spare. I’m determined not to miss the African textiles exhibition( I wonder if they’ll let me take photos?).

I also spotted some artwork on the side of the Library, that I’d never really noticed before.

I’ve no idea why “Everything Is Possible” is written in Spanish.  Excuse the vans parked in the photo, there’s a lot of building going on in Birmingham right now.

Around the corner from the museum is the Town Hall with the famous “floozie in the jacuzzi” aka Mistry’s River sculpture.

Big girl, our River, kinda Rubenesque.

Mistry’s  Guardians remind me of a Sphinx.

I always want to straighten up Gormley’s Iron Man, I’d love it more if it wasn’t intentionally wonky. That’s the Gas Hall in the background, no idea how it got its name.

New Street is full of shoppers at the weekend, and full of the Christmas Market during November and December. You never see photos of it when the trees are budding, so I took one or two. I love the old buildings here too. You hear so much about all the new building going on, it’s nice to take a look at the old ones that are still alive and well used.

So that was half an hour in Birmingham city centre. When I got off the bus in one of Birmingham’s suburbs, I carried on with taking photos.

Walking along the river Cole. So much green within sight of a busy main road.

One of my favourite trees,  the Hawthorne (May), is starting to blossom, always a good sign for me that spring is here and summer won’t be long.

Even people’s front gardens are looking pretty

Happy Wednesday

ClaireBear

15 responses to “Tourist in my own Town

1. dianajhale April 18, 2012 at 13:09

Thanks for the link to my post.It was a great exhibition. Nice account and I like your blog theme.

2. Oh Sew Tempting April 18, 2012 at 22:01

I really enjoyed that wander around. Thank you very much for taking the time to document it. Lovely photos and interesting places and things to see :-)

3. greenrabbitdesigns April 19, 2012 at 14:27

Nothing quite like a walk in the park! That MayFlower is stunning. :)

4. hannekekoop April 19, 2012 at 20:15

Lovely photo’s Claire, I’ve enjoyed your tour.

5. Buena Medders April 21, 2012 at 00:01

Hello. excellent job. I did not expect this. This is a fantastic story. Thanks!

6. Julie Green April 25, 2012 at 19:02

These are brilliant photos, it always surprises me what we can find when we look. I can’t wait to see what you post about your trip on Monday, I noticed you making lots of notes and taking lots of photos. Your next post should be brill too.

7. Leif Beserra May 4, 2012 at 11:50

Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thanks Nonetheless I’m experiencing situation with ur rss . Don?t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting similar rss downside? Anyone who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx

• Handmade by Claire Bear May 4, 2012 at 15:11

I’m sorry that you’re having problems with the rss feed, I’ll check and see if other computers have similar problems. In the meantime, have you tried following my blog via wordpress? Look at the bottom right hand corner of your screen, you should see a grey tab marked “+ follow”, click on it, enter your email address when asked, and you’ll get my blog posts via email.
      Hope this helps
      Claire

8. chunky earrings July 6, 2012 at 20:57

Thank you for your post, I just read this and got astonished by it. Shall keep on looking through much more of your posts. Hopefully you will keep to share greater number of these posts. Thanks again!

what do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 296 other followers